Artichoke? Why an artichoke?

As I was searching for a visual for this project, the artichoke kept coming to my mind. It has such tough prickly leaves that surround a beautiful flower and a soft tender heart. The only way to see the flower and reveal the heart is to one by one, peel back the leaves. And at the base of those tough leaves, the part that has been closest to the heart, there is a tiny taste, a glimpse of how amazing the heart is.

Friday, November 1, 2013

Recap of Gracious

It is almost time to begin learning about another attribute. But I wanted to remind myself of what I learned about being gracious.

1st - Being gracious has nothing to do with being a good hostess or Julie Andrews.

2nd - Being gracious is truly a God-like quality.  It is because of His graciousness that we are given everything in this life AND allowed to return to His presence in the next, after all we can do.

3rd - Being gracious is a lot easier with a total stranger than it is with a family member.

4th - Being gracious is a lot easier when everything is going right in my life - when I am not hungry or tired or stressed or surrounded by a dirty house or looking at a long to-do list.

5th - Being gracious is very hard when you are being screamed at and hit by your tired, hungry and stressed child.

6th - Being gracious with myself is a constant battle but even if I cut myself slack on one thing per day, I am doing better at it than I was before.

7th - Being gracious is not something I can achieve in a months time.  I will have to keep working at it, probably every hour of every day. 

I started with "gracious" thinking that it might be one of the easier parts of my spirit to remember.  Now I am thinking that I just may have started with one of the hardest.  Gracious seems to encompass many different things.  But I had to start somewhere!  And maybe with graciousness as my base, some of the others will come a bit more easily!

I'd love to hear what you learned about being gracious - either as a comment here or you can email me at artichokeproject47@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment