Artichoke? Why an artichoke?

As I was searching for a visual for this project, the artichoke kept coming to my mind. It has such tough prickly leaves that surround a beautiful flower and a soft tender heart. The only way to see the flower and reveal the heart is to one by one, peel back the leaves. And at the base of those tough leaves, the part that has been closest to the heart, there is a tiny taste, a glimpse of how amazing the heart is.

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Delicate

Time for a new attribute to study.  This choice has been very difficult for me.  I've really struggled in what to choose this month - which is why it is now the 7th and I'm just barely doing this post.  I finally settled on DELICATE.

I have never seen myself as delicate.  I don't know that anyone else has either.  :)  The only time I can remember feeling delicate was in college.  A big group of us were outside in 2 feet of snow and all our puffy marshmallow snow coats playing football.  Tackle football.  I had the ball, and one guy picked me up and moved me out of bounds rather than tackle me.  I was shocked!  When I asked him why he hadn't just tackled me, he replied that he thought I would break.  That was pretty much the only time I thought I was delicate.

I am tall.  I am a bit on the fluffy/big boned side.  All the haircuts that say - for delicate pixie like faces - I can pretty much disregard.  I have worked for years to prove that I can do anything. I've hung drywall.  I've tiled floors and shower surrounds.  I've helped put in wiring in a house. I paint walls. I've helped install chain link fencing, built shelves, put in a sprinkling system. I take mice out of the traps.  I take care of disposing of dead animals. I know how to start fires. I love shooting guns and bows and arrows.  I have no problem watching a deer being gutted or seeing blood. My favorite shows are crime type dramas. I mow the lawn regularly and do most of the yard work. I just passed my driving test on our 34 foot fire engine at the department and learned how to handle the hoses and water cannon (which is so fun!).  I can work a chain saw.  I move furniture.  And if I want something done, I will usually do it myself.  I have worked very hard to be "tough" and "strong" and fiercely independent. 

To me being delicate is being a "girly girl"  who calls her husband to kill spiders, refuses to take out the trash, faints at the sight of anything gory, only watches home and garden tv and looks like a porcelain doll.  SO NOT ME!

So I am wrestling with the whole concept of being delicate.  The thought makes me cringe. That is why I decided to work on this attribute. Let the learning begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment